Thursday, August 12, 2010

First Post... New Med... Hopefully new JC...

So.... a few online "friends" whose own children have mental disorders and JC's psych recommended using a blog / journal for therapy for myself :) I love to read, so I thought, well.... I guess I could write too. So this first blog may be a little long, sorry.

So here it goes! Life with JC - our 12 year old bipolar (finally dx'd at age 9), adhd, sensory integration disorder son.... it's been a wild ride so far and I'm trusting that it will continue to be for long time to come; which is why I am writing this blog.
A little history...
We fostered JC and his brother when JC was 2 years old. Adoption was finalized right before JC turned 3 (We adopted dd a few years later - the boys wanted a sister so bad back then!!!). JC and brother were both in a foster home prior to ours, but the parents were older and just couldn't take both boys and did not want to split them up. They were wonderful foster parents whom we included in the boys lives as much as possible when we lived in the same state. We still keep them updated on occasions and share Christmas cards and such. As for biological parents, we never met them, but heard and read some pretty harsh reports of what the boys went through prior to foster care as well as health histories on both father and mother. Biomother has a medically diagnosed behavioral disorder, was adopted herself as a child, and is self diagnosed bipolar (never medicated), which explains quite a bit about her behavior as a "mother".
After adoption, we continued to explore all options and diagnosis for JC. I know God has given us this child for a reason and we love him so much that we want the best possible for him!! He had already been kicked out of many daycares and proved to be too difficult for many babysitters and nannies the prior foster parents had tried. I decided to be a stay at home mom to provide some much needed stability and consistency. The prior foster parents had also tried to get him diagnosed through a psych dept. at UCLA. We continued with the assessments. He was dx'd only with PTSD with possibility of bipolar (yes, UCLA had already mentioned this at age 3!!!). As we continued on the path of diagnosis, we went through PTSD, Asperger's, RAD, PDD - NOS, sensory integration disorder, ADHD and finally to his main dx of bipolar.
We currently treat the two main concerns of ADHD and Bipolar. Since the stimulant meds for ADHD make our son extremely irritable (even more than usual!!) and have some psychotic episodes, we no longer medically treat this condition. He has taken many, many, many meds for bipolar. It has been a wild ride trying to get the medications straight. He was in a mental hospital for two weeks a few summers ago and that nearly made ME be admitted, lol!!! I have researched just about everything out there that seems to fit his behavior and follow several blogs and search up medications often. I am his strongest advocate and have chosen to do all I can to keep him out of the hospital ever again (I know that is probably not possible, but I do try)! Since he is almost a teenager, we are dealing with all the adolescent behaviors along with medication changes again due to weight, hormones, etc..... So...on to today!
Today, we went to the psych because she put him back on Depakote a few weeks ago. I don't think there has been any change or even worse in JC's behavior, my dh thinks there hasn't been any change, but that it is def. not worse, so that is the info. I shared with the psych. She is very open to my research and so this time, I brought up what I had heard about Saphris. He was currently taking 500mg. Depakote per day taken at night, 30 mg. Abilify taken in morning and 2mg. Risperdal (risperidone) Mtabs three times a day. So, she took him off the risperdal and gave us samples of Saphris to take 10 mg. twice a day. She recommended Intuniv if this doesn't work. So, I am going to have a tough 10 days before we see her again if this Saphris does not work. Plus, the Saphris is not covered by insurance due to it being a new drug and not approved for kids yet - it's like $200-300 per month!!!! YIKES! Psych can keep us with samples for awhile, but after that ???? So, I don't know if I'm hoping it works or doesn't work!! I've heard some great things about Intuniv too!!!
Since we just started the Depakote, psych wanted a full bloodwork panel done today. JC HATES getting blood drawn! We decided to try the small lab there at the office before heading to the hospital. JC has had to go to hospital many times before because he won't let them take it there at the office and the hospital has staff that holds him down (that's after I struggle and drag him out from under the chairs in the waiting area). I was praying the whole time.... still, JC didn't let them draw blood, he was hungry and irritable. So, the lab tech said to go have some lunch and then come back to try again (she was so wonderful and patient). We decided to try this since the hospital is so traumatic and my other two kiddos really didn't want to go with. After lunch, JC was much more agreeable and was brave and actually did it!!! I was so thankful and JC was proud of himself. It ended up being a positive experience and JC has been having a fairly good day today!
I will fill in some other points of our lives with JC - some of his behavior and actions towards family, siblings and others - in other blog postings so you can get an idea of how we function in all the madness :) on a regular basis.
Until then, remember Jesus loves You and will only give you as much as you can handle (with His strength and help of course!!!) I must rely on Him daily, hourly, minutely to guide me in our struggles with JC and the bipolar illness. I am so thankful for my husband and extended family who understand and try to support us as much as they can!!!
That's all for today folks,
Missy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you'd like. Thanks